Really? Has he tried EVERYTHING? I don't think so.
As proof, here are my 5 favorite motivational ploys and slump busting tricks from some of the best baseball movies. Perhaps one of these will work.
- Lightning Bolt Patches - If its good enough for "The Natural" its good enough for me.
- Sacrifice a live chicken - hopefully that will take the hex off the Cubs' gloves.
- There's no crying in baseball - Sure its not exactly a motivational speech, but the words still ring true to this day.
- Lifesize stripper/owner cardboard standup - Piniella can peel off a section of clothing after every Cubs win. However, I'm not sure if Tom Ricketts is as good of motivation as Rachel Phelps.
- Lollygagers - One of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies. Just remember: "This is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. You got it!"
Honorable mention - although "Bang the Drum Slowly" is one of my favorite movies, I would never wish that on anybody. Besides, the Cubs had a clubhouse cancer last year and look where that got them.